Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Movie Review: Phone Booth 2002


Cassandra Semexant 

I remember the day I saw the movie “Phone Booth” starring Colin Farrell. I went with a friend; we were both so excited to see this action-based thriller that was set in New York. The year was 2002 and I was fifteen years old. I was a huge fan of suspense thrillers and I just knew that this movie was going to be great. I was wrong. 


I went back again to revisit the film this past week to see if I still felt the same way about it that I had all those years ago. Unfortunately, my feelings remained the same. This is one of the worst movies ever made. There is nothing more disappointing than being extremely excited to watch a movie but it falls short of your expectations. In this movie, an arrogant man who is contemplating cheating on his wife has to choose right from wrong, forced by a sniper who uses this phone in the phone booth to threaten to take the man’s life unless he does what the sniper says.

During the course of the film there’s some humor, but the plot focuses more on this element of mystery. The camera remained in the phone booth for the majority of the time. As a viewer, I kept asking myself if he was going to make an exit from this booth, and he never did. The entire plot just seemed uninteresting. There was a lack of connection in terms of engaging the audience. It was very clear that there wasn’t much of a reality for the audience to connect to in this film. It did not make any sense to me. There are so many reasons why this movie is out of touch with reality; the fact that this complete stranger would be so intrigued by this publicist's very ordinary lifestyle did not captivate me.


 Colin Farrell did a wonderful job for being in a phone booth the entire time. He was convincing in his role, and seemed to be terrified in the phone booth. My favorite actor, Forest Whitaker, always does a wonderful job whenever called to action. He played the detective who was responsible for helping bring this sniper down from his mission of getting Farrell to admit cheating on his wife and humble himself.

I am not one to spoil a movie, so I won’t. But based on my opinion, it becomes very apparent in the first thirty minutes of this movie that it will leave you scratching your head. Eventually Farrell leaves the booth, but the movie ends five minutes later. If I were to grade this movie it would receive a D-; there was a lack of suspense and was far from a thriller. If you plan to see this movie, make sure that you do not use any of your hard-earned cash because you will be highly disappointed. The only suspense about this film is why it was ever made.

No comments:

Post a Comment