Sunday, August 28, 2011

Moogy's

By: Katie Barnhart

Calling Moogy’s a “sandwich shop” or a “sub shop” just doesn’t seem right. That would be like calling The Sistine Chapel just a church with a bunch of doodles or calling Shakespeare just a writer; it just doesn’t seem to do it justice.

From the outside, Moogy’s seems like a hole-in-the-wall place with one claim to fame: one-dollar Busch drafts. Hearing that, I was ready to run in the opposite direction because the only group of people I know who drink Busch are poor Boston College students with low standards.

I was drawn to try Moogy’s one day when a Groupon popped up on my email offering two sodas, two sandwiches and one side for 10 dollars. As a poor college student myself, I couldn’t pass up a deal that good.

When I took my trip down to Moogy’s with my boyfriend after work one night, I was expecting grimy tables, rickety booths and artery-clogging food. I am glad to say I was very pleasantly surprised.

When you enter Moogy’s, it has really funky, handwritten signs describing some of the most popular sandwiches, an upbeat, happy vibe and it smells like some seriously good food is cooking.

Moogy’s serves breakfast all day and they offer anything from the mundane, such as pancakes ($4.80) or egg sandwiches ($3.15), to the extraordinary such as the Sugar Daddy, which is a turkey and swiss sandwich made with two pieces of Texas French toast ($7.00).

Moogy’s may be good at serving up breakfast, but their sandwiches are not only inspired, they are simply a party in your mouth. Their most famous sandwich, the Phantom Royale is shaved steak, BBQ sauce, American cheese and onion rings served on a hoagie for $6.25 a small sandwich that is plenty big enough.

If you are feeling up for a simpler sandwich, they offer all the pieces of a sandwich, such as meats, cheeses, toppings and sauces and you can create your own meal.

I would say that Moogy’s has a lot of special things going for them. From their pet fish, to their free extra toppings, rotating beer options and a fireplace, I would say that the best thing Moogy’s has is board games. Yes, you heard me – board games. Nothing beats waiting for your food while playing Sorry, Scrabble, Monopoly or Candy Land.


All in all, Moogy’s is the coolest place to grab a bite to each out here in Brighton.

Moogy’s Restaurant is open from 11:00 am to 11:00 pm on Monday through Friday and from 10:00 am to 11:00 pm Saturday and Sunday. Visit their website for more information: www.moogys.com

No comments:

Post a Comment