Friday, April 15, 2011

Pretty Fly for a French Fry







When I first heard about Saus I thought, in the eloquent words of Liz Lemon, “I want to go to there.” When I finally had a chance to stop in, it was Belgian street food heaven. Let me preface this by saying I met some friends for drinks before, and although it was a Wednesday night, the round of beers turned into rounds of Kamikaze shots. That being said, Saus is like a dream come true for the hungry, wayfaring drunk.

Saus is located in tourist land—aka Faneuil Hall—right near the Purple Shamrock and the Union Oyster House. If you’re brave enough to traverse this scary territory, wonderful, cheesy, greasy rewards await you. The joint is pretty small, with seating for about ten people. If you can find a seat, the eclectic décor, wooden benches, and chalkboard menus make it a nice place to eat in, but you can also take your order to go. In a nod to Belgian street food carts, your take-out frites are served in adorable paper cones.

I would consider myself an amateur connoisseur of poutine, the French street food that is increasingly finding its way to trendy restaurants in America. There are particularly good versions being served at the Gaslight in the South End and at Foundry in Davis Square, but none of them compare to what Saus is turning out. The pommes frites in their poutine are crispy on the outside and slightly soggy on the inside from absorbing all of the warm gravy and melted cheddar cheese curds they’re smothered in. At Saus, all of the fries are hand-cut, the gravy is homemade, and everything is made to order. It might seem like a fast food joint, but they’re not taking any shortcuts. Despite such high quality ingredients and preparation, nothing on the menu is over ten dollars.

I ordered the poutine and my friends ordered an assortment of other items so we could all sample. They make Belgian style waffles which come with a choice of one dipping sauce. We got the nutella option but also ordered salted caramel on the side. The waffle tasted completely different from an American breakfast version. It was more doughy and less sweet, making the dipping sauces a perfectly balanced accompaniment. As a snack, one waffle ($3.50) is perfect, but if you’re a little more hungry, two would certainly do the trick.

We also tried the pommes frites, regular fries that are not topped with cheese or gravy like the poutine. You can order these in three different sizes, but the regular size for $5.50 is perfect for sharing with another person and comes with your choice of a mayo-based dipping sauce. We tried the Cheddar and Duvel Ale and it was delicious, but there are nine other options which are all also homemade. Saus is so committed to making everything from scratch that even their ketchup is made in-house! It should also be mentioned that the uber helpful and friendly staff will let you sample as many sauces as you like before deciding on your favorite.

Bottom line, get yourself to Saus. The food is delicious, the staff friendly, and did I mention it’s open until 2am Thursday-Saturday? It’s a dangerous game to serve perfect drunk people food--smack dab in the middle of drunk people land--until last call, but it could also be seriously profitable. Go get your fry on.

Hours
Mon-Wed 12pm-10pm, Thu 12pm-12am
Fri & Sat 12pm-2am, Sun 12pm-8pm

617-248-8835
33 Union St.
Boston MA, 02108

1 comment:

  1. Awesome article! Probably not a good thing to be reading at midnight on a Sunday morning with a growling stomach. I would have never known about this place unless you had pointed it out. I was actually at Bell in Hand Tavern (next to Union Bay Oyster) last Saturday. I wish I had read this before then as I would have grabbed a bite on my way out of the city. I was starved and knew all I had back home was the crappy, Wendy's late night drive-thru. I'll have to give their waffle a try, though I must admit nothing can beat a true Belgium waffle.

    ReplyDelete