Thursday, December 9, 2010

Email Comes to Facebook

Yes. It has happened. Email has come to Facebook.
Why? Oh, as a result of talking with teenagers. Yes, that’s right, Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg announced an ambitious development on November 15th, transforming Facebook from a social networking site to an all-out communication system.

After speaking with high-schoolers, Zuckerberg discovered that although most of them had email accounts, barely any actually utilized them, leading him to make the assumption that email is essentially a thing of the past.

His new service, which is currently open by invitation only until available to all users, brings chat, texting, status updates, and email together in one convenient location.

That’s right, you will soon be able to flaunt an @facebook.com email address! But, do you really want to?

According to Zuckerberg, email has become “too formal, too slow, and too cumbersome” and he makes it quite clear that his great idea will get folks off regular email. However, what it sounds like is that Zuckerberg is turning a no brainer into an aggregated belief. Of course the majority of teens do not use email; what reasons or obligations do most have to do so? That should not by any means imply that email is old fashioned, or as Zuckerberg says, “showing its age.”

Facebook, as we all know it, is a social site. I don’t know about my fellow adults, but I think I can safely assume that most of us would not want our email address associated with any aspect of Facebook. The popular site is far from professional and while an @facebook.com email address may suit the needs and interest of adolescents, I have witnessed too many job downfalls as a result of entangling work and play on Facebook. I think I’ll keep my friends in one spot, and my professional life in another, thank you.

As for having everything together in one place, I am pretty sure that I can muster up enough energy to log into my secure yahoo account, and then, yes, open up another tab for Facebook. I am not quite sure of the last time my email was unmanageable either. I can actually recall many a moment in which I sat there longer waiting for my statuses to update than my email inbox.

Some analysts say that people will begin to use Facebook’s system more than their familial email accounts, but I say that’s crazy. Yahoo, MSN, AOL, and Google ain’t going nowhere. Bring it on.

No comments:

Post a Comment