Sunday, November 28, 2010

I Can See You

I Can See You
By Christine Norton

Has Facebook gone too far? According to Miguel Helft of The New York Times "Americans already spend more time on Facebook than on any other website, and more than 500 million people around the world have signed up for it."
Mark Zuckerberg, chief executive of Facebook thinks e-mail has seen better days. He doesn't think that "a modern messaging system is going to be e-mail."

In 2007 Mr. Zuckerberg described a new advertising system by Facebook, but had to shut it down because of privacy issues. That incident suggests that Mr. Zuckerberg has no idea just how much personal information people want to share.

Analysts agree that Facebook is facing numerous challenges including managing spam and providing privacy and security to an already questionable practice.

Facebook has intentions of storing all of your messaging history including e-mail correspondences. Is this really a good idea?

Facebook has a lot of privacy issues and they seem to change their settings a lot. People want to be able to go to a website that they trust. They don’t want to worry that their personal information might fall into the wrong hands. 

Privacy is a safety issue and if a site can’t guarantee safety people will not go to it. 

Facebook needs to be able to provide its followers with some measure of safety and privacy. E-mail and Facebook together just doesn’t seem like a good idea.

Privacy and e-mail should go hand in hand. If we have a system that includes a social networking site and e-mail then how can we be assured privacy? How will interacting on Facebook and receiving Facebook e-mail be separate? 

I know that when I go to my e-mail account I don’t want a flag or something popping up on Facebook letting people know that I am checking my mail. This would be like Big Brother.

The same holds true for messaging. What if I don't feel like taking a message, yet I can be seen online? That would put me in an awkward position. 

John R. Quain of FoxNews.com said that users will get their own @facebook.com e-mail address. He went on to say, "But rather than making life easier, this system may simply overwhelm users."

I do not need any additional Facebook features that will compromise my privacy or my sanity.

Facebook has a lot of glitches and I don’t trust them to keep my privacy private. For my own safety I would not use the e-mail system that Facebook will be offering. 
How many times have you checked your Yahoo e-mail account only to see a window pop up with somebody saying, “Hi, what are you doing?” 

I don’t want that to happen with Facebook. On Facebook you can have friends of friends see what you are saying. Do you really want Susie’s friend Alice to know that you have mail?

As it stands now, you can opt to hide so that nobody knows you're on Facebook unless you want them to. You simply click on the online chat feature and then people can see you if they are also online.

I want to have an e-mail account that is separate from my Facebook account. Can you imagine that if something happened to cause Facebook to collapse? You would lose all of your data including your contacts. I am sure that I don't want to take that chance.

I really don't think Facebook is secure and I wouldn't trust my e-mail to them.
This is not privacy to me and I would be very upset to think that my personal e-mail, through some glitch, can be read by Steve in Ohio or Mary over in Ireland.

I like keeping my e-mail account separate from my Facebook account and as such will not be jumping on the bandwagon. "Indeed, e-mail may be making a comeback, even as leaders of the Facebook generation denounce it as old-fashioned" said John R. Quain.

I want my confidential e-mail to stay confidential. You can bet that I will be one of those who do not delete my e-mail account in favor of Facebook's competition. 

I don't know about you, but I don't want to be on Facebook and have a window open up with somebody saying "Hi, I can see you."

No comments:

Post a Comment