Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Video MONSTER Awards!

The 2010 MTV Video Music Awards is one Lady Gaga won’t soon forget. The 24-year-old singer was nominated for 13 awards, more than any artist in one night in the history of the show. While some may have doubted her, she proved them all wrong by taking home eight awards for her singles “Telephone” and “Bad Romance.” Both singles are off of her second album, ‘The Fame Monster,’ which has sold millions of copies around the world and online. Gaga, real name Stefani Germanotta, did not disappoint her “little monsters” with her wardrobe choices or acceptance speeches on the show that has now been dubbed ‘The Video Monster Awards.’


Before the show, which took place at the Nokia Theater in California, Gaga tweeted: “Silks, fabrics, shoes + jewels, fashion dreams + breaking rules. Real heroes on my arm, tonight, is for us monsters, and our fight.” Fans were glued to their computers and television screens to catch a glimpse of the one they call “Mother Monster.” Gaga arrived on the white carpet at the show wearing a beautiful gown by the late designer Alexander McQueen. Her dress was gold, red and copper-toned featuring a Leonardo da Vinci-esque woman on her bodice. The singer's hair was a silvery-white hue with blue streaks at the tips and near the roots, complete with a feathery golden mohawk headpiece. She was also wearing sky-high snakeskin booties, which didn't make it easy to walk! It was on the carpet that Gaga won her first two awards of the evening: Best Dance Video for "Bad Romance" and Best Collaboration for "Telephone.”


Inside the theater, Gaga soon collected another award, Best Female Video for "Bad Romance.” With a little assistance for her long flowing gown, she shimmied up to presenter Ellen Degeneres and took the microphone with a huge smile on her face and tears in her eyes. "It's such a dream come true to be here tonight, and tonight little monsters, we're the cool kids at the party," she said. With three awards already under her belt, Gaga soon took the stage again, only this time it was to accept the award for Best Pop Video for "Bad Romance.” Wearing a ruffled leather Armani gown with a black-spiked headpiece, she again needed help getting out of her chair and walked up the steps to accept her fourth award of the evening. She screamed, "YEAH!!" before giving another short speech. "I didn't quite think through all the wins, so this outfit's too heavy to walk in. I apologize if I'm a little slow this evening. Fashion road kill, it's okay. Thank you so much for voting for this video and thank you again to all my fans. Thank you to MTV for playing my video even though they asked me to cut so much out! And I refused, because we were BORN THIS WAY BABY!!” Gaga then celebrated her win by dancing with Jane Lynch and other cast members from Glee onstage.


Before the commercial break, it was announced that Lady Gaga had won three more awards for her smash hit “Bad Romance”: Best Choreography, Best Editing, and Best Direction made the award count jump to seven. Thinking it just couldn’t get any better than that, Gaga looked shocked as she won the final and most coveted award of the night: Video of the Year for "Bad Romance.” Hugging and kissing her friends, she made her way to the stage wearing a meat dress by Franc Fernandez, her most-talked about ensemble of the evening. She also sported matching shoes, headpiece, and purse. Asking presenter Cher to hold her “meat purse” and with tears streaming down her cheeks, Gaga said, "I promised if I won this tonight, I would announce the name of my new record. It's called 'Born This Way." She then sang: "I'm beautiful in my way, cause God makes no mistakes. I'm on the right track, baby, I was born this way." The much-anticipated third studio album is set to be released in early 2011.


After the show, Lady Gaga was interviewed for a segment on Ellen Degeneres’ talk show. When asked how she felt about how much her fame has skyrocketed, Gaga said, “I was supremely nervous in a way that I have never been nervous for tonight, because I wasn't performing. And I'm not used to just going to accept awards or have my picture taken. I don't do that. And so much of what I stand for is really hard work and being yourself and busting your ass, and it was really difficult for me. And I kept thinking to myself, I can't let my fans down tonight because then I'm just another bitch in a dress at an awards show.”


Ellen also asked the pop star about the four people who arrived with her on the white carpet, and why she brought them to the show with her. Gaga had explained previously on the show that the military had discharged them after finding out they were gay. “We're very excited because at this very moment in the House of Representatives, Don't Ask Don't Tell was just overturned. It is a law that states that if a gay person has been either found out or reveals their sexuality or sexual orientation, they cannot be in the military. It's a law that violates so much of what we stand for as a generation, as free people, as America, and I wanted to bring them with me tonight. It is a devastation to me that I know my fans who are gay feel like bad kids, they feel like they have government oppression on them, and that's actually why I wore the meat tonight.”


Ellen couldn’t wait to ask Gaga to explain why she wore a dress that was made of meat to the show. She explained, “Well, it is certainly no disrespect to anyone that is vegan or vegetarian. As you know, I am the most judgment free human being on the earth. It has many interpretations. For me this evening, if we don’t stand up for what we believe in and if we don’t fight for our rights pretty soon, we’re going to have as much rights as the meat on our bones. And, I am not a piece of meat!” It was then that Ellen presented Gaga with an alternative to her meat dress- a veggie bikini!


Gaga truly was the queen of the Video Music Awards this year. Undoubtedly, no one deserved top honors other than her. She has been on tour for nearly three years straight, writes all of her own songs, and sings live at every concert- something that many pop artists of today simply don’t do. She is charitable and kind, generous and caring, and makes her fans feel special just by being themselves. Some say she is the new Madonna, others think she is just a freak of nature. Regardless of what anyone says, Lady Gaga truly gives a voice to the new generation and always keeps everyone guessing what she will do next.

No comments:

Post a Comment