Tuesday, December 1, 2009

One Cheap Cherry

When it comes to food I am extremely frugal. I can’t even remember the last time I ate at a restaurant, maybe a couple of years ago, and I can assure you it wasn’t on my dime. It just makes sense to me to buy a loaf of bread and cold cuts to last the week rather than ever buy a sandwich. But there are occasionally times where I want something to eat away from home and I have a few choice locations that will always fill me up cheaply. If this article was just about saving money I’d end up writing a few paragraphs on 7-11, or Asian supermarket Kan-Man, but I’m sure you’d prefer something with a little more taste.
Inconspicuously placed in a basement level space on Newbury St. Cherry Mart is one of the tastiest and cheapest sources for convenience style sustenance I’ve come across. It stocks a wide variety of Japanese foods as well as a small library of DVD’s and various miscellaneous items. The food is for the most part cheap, with occasional exceptions; some items are uncharacteristically expensive, probably due to being imported. Beyond that, it’s also interesting to someone raised on Western cuisine. While shrimp flavored chips and salt shakers full of MSG are uncommon in American supermarkets, almost half the food has no English labeling at all. If I’m feeling adventurous I’ll buy a bag of deep fried who knows what.
The bottom line is this: 5-8 dollars is enough to buy yourself at least 2 meals worth of food (maybe even 3 if you stretch). I like to go for their sushi or rice, meat, and vegetable lunch packs with a bag of strangely flavored chips and a drink. On top of that you can snag a few of their awesome little rice balls that come with a variety of flavors and a sheet of seaweed to roll them in. I can easily give it my recommendation as I’ve gone through quite a few days in Boston only eating the fishy, ricey, things I’d picked up at Cherry Mart that morning.
Visit Cherry Mart at 349 Newbury Street, in Boston 10:00AM to 9:00PM.

No comments:

Post a Comment